Transfer a Bear Permit to a Youth Hunter

Transfer a Bear Permit to a Youth Hunter

An adult bearhunter who is authorized to purchase a Class A Bear Hunting License is able to transfer that authority to a youth hunter who falls into an age at or between 10-17 years old.

Thanks to a DNR webpage, we’ve organized what makes a hunter eligible and what you need to do. At the bottom of the page we’ve included some helpful links.

What Makes You Eligible?

  • A minor is only eligible to receive a transferred approval if that minor has not been previously transferred that type of approval
  • The youth hunter receiving the transfer, if 12 years or older, must have completed a hunter education course
  • The transferee must be at least 10 years old at the beginning of the bear season or turn 10 during the season
  • The transferee must be under 18 at the time of application or at least 15 days prior to the start of the season
  • Transfers can still be granted to individuals who turn 18 during the application deadline and the end of the bear season
  • A minor may only be transferred a Class A Bear License once
  • The transfer of the license does not affect the number of preference points the minor may have previously acquired
  • Both residents and non-residents may transfer a Class A Bear License
  • Tranferees may either be residents or non-residents

There are a few points you need to know and consider before beginning the process.

  • The youth permit transfer application must be RECEIVED at least 15 DAYS PRIOR to the start of the bear season
  • The transferor must purchase the Class A Bear License and submit the license and backtag with the youth transfer application
  • If a resident transfers the license to a non-resident minor, the resident must pay, at the time of application, the difference between the fees of a resident and non-resident license
  • There is no fee rebate if a non-resident transfers the license to a resident minor
  • The transferor may NOT receive payment or consideration for the transfer of ¬†a Class A Bear License
  • Transferred licenses will be mailed to the youth hunter if the youth turns 10 prior to the start of the bear hunting season
  • Youth who turn 10 after the beginning of the bear season will be mailed a notification of the successful transfer. The notification MUST BE taken to a DNR Service Center in order to obtain their Class A Bear License
  • The transferor of the license will lose the preference points that they have accumulated
  • There is no transaction fee for the transfer
  • All transfer applications are final

What You Need To Do

  1. Download (PDF 41KB) and complete the application. The application can also be obtained at a DNR Service Center
  2. Submit the transferor’s Bear Hunting License and Backtag
  3. Pay the License fee
    ($49 and $251)
  4. Provide a photocopy of the transferee’s hunter education certificate
  5. Mail all materials to:
    Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
    Attn: Youth Permit Transfer
    PO Box 7924
    Madison, WI 53707

Once these steps are completed, the license will be mailed to the transferee upon application approval. A Minor who is transferred a license shall retain all preference points that he or she has previously accumulated.

If you have questions about eligibility, the process or general inquiries, please contact the DNR by calling 1-888-936-7463

Helpful Links

Leave a Reply